Lately I have been working on self-improvement. In the process I have been stumbling upon some really mind engaging quotes. I decided to start a new journal where I write down quotes that I aspire to or want to live by. I read them once everyday. Hopefully by doing this I will start thinking a certain way and you know what they say: you are what you think.
Here are 5 quotes that have greatly inspired me and hopefully they find a way to inspire you, too.
1. “This is now. Now is, all there is. Don’t wait for Then; Strike the spark, light the fire.” – Rumi
I have always made excuses to put off the things I wanted to accomplish; whether it was writing that novel or painting that picture. My number one excuse would be i’m not ready or maybe in the near future. But thing is, I will never be fully ready. I never have been for anything and that’s what allows us to learn the most and experience the most. If not now, when?
2. “You must master a new way of thinking before you can master a new way to be” – unknown
Thinking and being go quite hand in hand. If you want that job but keep thinking you will get rejected once again, you won’t get that job. If you would like to be a more positive person, continuing to think negatively won’t get you there. I have learned that you don’t necessarily have to fully believe what you think, but thinking a certain way will make you believe and you will be.
3. “Don’t settle for nice, for pleasant, for familiar. Keep looking until you find something that really moves you, that resonates with your core. And I mean this for people, for interests, for hobbies, for your possessions, clothes, music, books, art. Everything. Curate every aspect of your life, as much as you can. It’s in the things that deeply inspire us that we find ourselves. Reject the false, the dull, the performative. Surround yourself with truth, and you’ll have built yourself a heaven.” – Xan Oku
You have one life that is yours. One masterpiece to create. So chose the right colors. It might take you a while to find just the right things but that can’t be compared to the result of a life that is exhilarating and full of meaning.
4. “When you grow up you tend to get told that the world is the way it is and your life is just to live your life inside the world. Try not to bash into the walls too much. Try to have a nice family life, have fun, save a little money. That’s a very limited life. Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you. And you can change it, you can influence it… Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.” – Steve Jobs
The first time I came across this quote, it completely changed my attitude and outlook on life. Jobs couldn’t have said it any better!
5. “You are what you love, not who loves you” – unknown
Your worth is not defined by someone else. Only you can define yourself (-: